Sunday, August 26, 2012

Visit from Grandma, Mary, Colin and Lucia

Even though Mary makes the effort to fly from Italy to Ohio every year with her family, I usually still ask her to also make the six hour drive to Chicago to visit me.  I know....I suck, but I just love hanging out and taking them to my favorite Chicago spots.  Grandma also made the drive out this year, so it was extra fun.  They got in Friday and we just took them out for Italian food, which I'm sure didn't measure up to the authentic Italian food they eat ten months out of the year.  But this place does give the kids balloon animals, so it has that going for it.  Then Saturday I took them to Morton Arboretum, which is my new favorite outdoor spot for the kids to play.  Everyone had a blast.  Colin LOVED the maze.  I think Lucia enjoyed watching my girls soak themselves with the water pump.  And my kids had tons of fun trying to keep up with their cousins.  Then that night, we left Joe with the kids and Grandma, Mary and I hit up a very yummy Mexican restaurant and imbibed a few margaritas.  Sunday, I took them to Beauty and the Beast at the Chicago Shakespeare Theater.  I don't think any of us had high expectations going into the play.  The tickets didn't cost very much, so I was assuming it would be the typical children's theater fare.  But this was a full out musical with probably 20 cast members.  And the seats were amazing.  It was so good, that Mom, Mary and myself couldn't stop raving about it.  I'm definitely taking in every children's play they have there from now on.  Then we hit the Ferris Wheel and carousel at Navy Pier, and while Grandma, Finn and I waited for seats at the Cheesecake Factory, Mary took Colin and Lucia to see the American Girl Doll and Lego stores at Water Tower.  We had such a blast, I was bummed when they took off that evening.  But thankfully, we were seeing them all in Hatteras in less than a week!

Mary took some great pictures of my kids playing in one of the fountains at the Arboretum.




Despite Sabine's crippling fear of dogs, it appears she is fine with pretending to be one.

And my kids favorite spot, the water pump where they always proceed to get absolutely soaked while I just watch -  much to the shock of passersby.




No comments: