Sunday, June 24, 2012

My baby boy is 4!

I can't believe that time has gone so fast.  I can clearly recall the moment on May 25, 2008 when my water broke and 13 hours later when I held my gorgeous son for the first time.  And now he is a four year old!  While it makes me sad that he isn't my little baby who sleeps best laying on my chest, I am also so impressed at the little boy he has become.  Finnegan is happiness embodied.  He has so much fun at everything he does that it makes other people happy.  Whenever I pick him up from school, camp or a play date, people always comment on how happy and fun to be around Finn is.  That and that he is very smart and articulate, which I also agree with.  The other day we were late for swimming lessons and I was trying to find a parking space, so when Finn asked me "why the fountain looked like it is shimmering," I copped out by saying I didn't know.  Without missing a beat, Finn responds "maybe it is because the light is reflecting off the water and making it shine."  Ummmm...yea or that.  This story highlights not only how articulate Finn is, but also how curious.  Finn wants to know why everything is the way it is.  It can be exhausting to respond to, but I know it will serve him well in the future.  And his articulateness and curiosity is greatly aided by Finn's LOVE of books.  Finn could have me read 20 books in a row to him and never get bored.  We've read so many of the books that are geared towards his age group, like Elephant and Piggy, Dr. Seuss, Eric Carle, the Berenstain Bears, Pout Pout Fish and the little golden books, that we've now moved on to including chapter books in our repertoire.  We've recently finished Charlotte's Web, Junie B. Jones, Clementine and How to Train Your Dragon by reading 20 pages a night, and he is loving it.  I've now also taken to downloading audio books to get us through long car rides.  If there is a book on, Finn doesn't make a peep.  He loves books so much, that during the day Finn uses a lot of our paper to staple together and create his own books.  Finn is never at a loss for great story ideas thanks to his amazing imagination!  He definitely seems to have inherited his Dad's gift for creative writing.  All of this, and he is only four!  I can hardly wait to see how Finn continues to grow and develop over the coming year!  He makes me so proud!

Here's Finn at preschool on his birthday.  He made his birthday crown that morning and was so proud of it that he wore it for DAYS.  I also got to come in before dismissal and bring popsicles for the class.  Happy Happy Birthday, Finnegan!


  

No comments: