My dear Finn,
This year had a few more struggles than years past. First grade seems to be a time when kids really develop their interests and search out friends who share those same interests. At times, I saw you struggling to fit in with some of the boys you had hung with in years past. And because you are such a sensitive boy, I saw it break your heart. And mine broke along with yours. I wanted to swoop in and fix it for you. I wanted to tell those boys who didn't seem to want to play with you, that it was their loss because you are the smartest, funniest, most creative, most fun loving six year old I've ever met and they would be lucky to count you as a friend. I mean who else knows the riddles between Bilbo and Gollum by heart? Who else loves to read the I Survived series to learn about important historical moments like the Chicago fire and the Nazi invasion? Who else can build with legos for hours at a time and create entire towns and villages? Who else cracks up hysterically over a good fart joke or slapstick humor? But I knew I had to let you navigate the first grade social scene on your own. And the best part is, you got through it and came out even stronger. By the end of the year, you were secure again in your love of all things Harry Potter, the Hobbit and hockey. And you had found friends who liked those things too. And I know that this experience, though hurtful at times, will make you that much more confident that you can get past the next hurdle that comes your way. And just like this time, I will be in your corner, rooting for you and being your rock. I love you my dear boy and know you are destined for a wonderful life. I'm just excited to see what path you choose to take and which interests you choose to pursue. It is such a privilege to be your mommy!
You have the biggest heart of anyone I know. It is one of my favorite things about you.
Baby’s Strawberry, Banana, and Beet Mash
3 years ago


No comments:
Post a Comment