Sunday, June 9, 2013

Happy 5th Birthday, Finnegan Padraic!

There is a song that Finn sings at school called "What a Miracle."  Here's an abbreviated version.  


I have feet, I have feet,
Watch me stamp, watch me stamp.
Oh, what a miracle am I.
Chorus:
Oh, what a miracle, oh, what a miracle,
Every little part of me.
I'm something special, so very special,
There's nobody quite like me.

This song makes me cry a bit whenever Finnegan sings it, because it sums up precisely how I feel about my son.  I watch him excitedly tell me about the new story that he has written or the new experiment or project they are doing at school and I think to myself, no other boy can possibly be as amazing as this one.  I, of course, know that I think this because I am extremely biased and love everything about this little boy so much.  What can I say?  I am his mom.  I love how creative Finnegan is.  I ask him what he is doing with his knight lego set and he tells me that this character is really batman, but everyone believes he is George Washington.  And, of course, all the Disney princesses have been shot by cannons because the soldiers didn't like Disney during the Civil War.  I love how cuddly Finnegan is.  That he falls asleep best when he is cuddled up as close to me as possible in my bed.  I love how funny Finnegan is.  When he makes up a knock knock joke like - Why did the fountain at Great Wolf Lodge spit water?... because it was brushing its teeth.  I love how smart Finnegan is.  At school, a boy told him that it thunders because God is jumping on the clouds.  Finnegan replied that, no, it thunders because of the vibration after the lightning lets off its energy.  I love how much Finnegan loves books.  This past year we have read the 3 available books in The Guardians series, 23 Magic Tree House Books, 4 more How to Train Your Dragon books, The Secret of Nimh, Stuart Little, The Tale of Despereaux and more.  We get through these by reading 20 pages each night before he goes to bed.  Finn gets so into the stories and could easily listen to 100 pages a night if I had the energy.  I treasure these 15 to 20 minutes a night and hope they continue for many more years, even after Finn could easily read the books by himself.  And I love how - from Disneyworld to Christmas - Finnegan finds delight in those things that are magical and most quintessentially part of childhood.

Oh, what a miracle is right.  I love you so much, Finnegan!

No comments: