Thursday, May 24, 2012

The Big Apple, Baby!

Joe and I have been wanting to get back to New York to show the kids around the city that mom and dad called home during college.  After Christmas, we finally decided that the girls would be old enough this spring to try it (while still being young enough not to need plane tickets).  We also knew we wouldn't be on our own as Aunt Jen lives in Queens and we were pretty sure we could convince Gigi and Papa to come out for the weekend too.  So with everyone on board, we got up at 3:15 a.m. on April 19 to catch a 6:10 flight out of Midway.  We thought that by leaving this early the kids would be tired enough to sleep on the plane.  Well, Sabine went along with the plan...


But Finn and Lou were way to excited about being on a plane to catch any zzz's.  


Once we dropped our bags off at the hotel, it was off to FAO Schwartz we went.  Of all the toys there, my kids preferred the train table, much like the one they have at home.  Figures.

That night after taking a much needed nap and meeting up with Gigi, Papa and Jen, we headed downtown to see our friends Nate and Sharon who were gracious enough to host us and make us a pasta dinner.  Thank goodness they were moving just a few weekends later, because our kids did their best to wreck their current abode!  Our bad!  After a good night's sleep, it was off to the Central Park Zoo.  It was such a pretty day and we had so much fun.  Here is the crew checking out the sea lions.

The family.


The zoo not only had great animals, but also lots of fun things to climb on.







After recharging at one of Joe and I's favorite Mexican spots, Papa, Gigi, Jen, Dad and Finn were off to the High Line while the girls and I napped.  I'm bummed I didn't get to check this out, so it's definitely on my list for next time.

Aunt Jen entertaining the kids in the hotel room later that night.

Saturday morning it was off to the Manhattan Children's Museum.  Here are the girls sliding down a "tongue" in the healthy bodies exhibit.

Unfortunately all that playing meant Lourdes and Sabine napped while Finn and I took in The Lion King.  It was EXCELLENT.  Finn loved it and is holding his stuffed lion king in this picture.

And then it was time to get changed and catch the subway to Queens to see where Aunt Jenny lives.


Not only did Jen make the kids a yummy dinner, but she had things for them to draw on too.

Loving their auntie.


And then it was back to the hotel as we had another 6:00 a.m. flight to catch the next day.  All in all, I think New York was a big hit and I hope we get back there again soon!

No comments: