Finnegan,
It has been another wonderful year watching you grow. Probably your biggest accomplishment this year was your advance in reading. You went from struggling through Bob books to reading Level 4 books about King Tut's Tomb, Ben Franklin and the Titanic. You are so proud of yourself, as you should be. You are also as engaged as ever with our nightly chapter book reading. Your current obsession is The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe. Not only did we read the book, but then you used your allowance money to buy the picture book on Amazon so that you could sit at night and leaf through it. Just the other night in the tub you told me, even as an adult, it will be one of your favorite books. And I believe you. You are so smart. You understand that it is an allegory for the story of Jesus and you talk to me about how the White Witch must represent the Devil and her followers the souls of the bad people in hell. I can't believe a 6 year old can think that deeply, but you can. Your love of books makes me so happy. And I know you will make your dream of having a big library in your own house someday a reality.
You also breezed through the challenge of full day kindergarten. I worried that it would be a big transition from half-day preschool and that you would be tired and miss Rosa and your sisters. But you did great. You were excited to go to school each and every day. Even your teacher, Ms. Keighley, raved about your enthusiasm towards learning. How it is infectious and makes the other kids excited to learn too. She also complemented your inclusiveness, you are friends with everyone and never leave anyone out. I expect nothing less. You have always been the sweetest little boy I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. You don't have a mean bone inside you.
I look forward to witnessing you grow up over this next year. To see you finally lose a tooth, like you so desperately want to. To see you in Cub Scouts and your Emerald City plays. To see what chapter books you are able to read on your own by the end of the year. Whether you will like A Wrinkle in Time as much as I think you will. To see what friends you become closest to in school, and what games you all come up with at recess. Whether you will continue to like skiing this winter, and insist on a ski vacation over spring break. Every day I am thankful that I was blessed with you as a son and get to hold your hand for a short while until you take on the world on your own. I love you more than words can express. Happy Birthday, my sweet boy!

No comments:
Post a Comment